Side-by-Side – Unified! Youth Leadership Summit!
October 20 - October 22
Special Olympics Ohio and Unified Champion Schools is holding our inaugural Side-By-Side—UNIFIED! Athlete and Educator Leadership Summit on October 20th-22nd in Columbus! We are inviting 50 schools to bring delegations of athletes, partners, and educators to attend the Summit for three days to learn, lead, network, and #PlayUnified.
Here is an overview of the schedule for the Summit:
- Thursday, October 20th
- 4-6pm – Check-in to The Renaissance Hotel in Downtown Columbus
- 6-8pm – Unified Sports Expo – Come to our tailgate party and cheer on the Unified teams who will be in exhibition play!
- Friday, October 21st
- 8am-4pm – Lead and Learn Sessions on topics like inclusion, leadership development, strategies for building Unified teams, and more
- 6-10pm – Unified Experience – Dinner, networking, dancing, and sports!
- Saturday, October 22nd
- 9am-12pm – Pep Rally and Planning – Get back together with your delegation and make plans for this year’s Unified activities at your school!
- 12pm – Summit attendees depart
Here are the steps to register your delegation for the Summit:
- Discuss with your school administrator. All costs for meals, lodging, materials, and parking for the Summit are covered by Unified Champion Schools; however, schools are responsible for any costs for substitute teachers and transportation to and from the Summit.
- Identify an Educator, two Athletes, and two Unified Partners to be on your school’s delegation. In a UCS school, we use the term “Athletes” to signify student participants who identify with having an intellectual disability and the term “Unified Partners” for those who do not. All delegations must have two Athletes and two Unified Partners. They must be currently in grades 6-12. Any athlete whose participation requires an aide or assistant can register one.
- Follow this link to register your school, Educator, and Athletes and Unified Partners. You can start the registration process here.
- Once registered, you will receive a notification from Special Olympics Ohio to tell you if your school was selected for attendance. Only 50 delegations can attend, so if we have more interest, Special Olympics Ohio will choose schools that are representative of the demographics, geography, and types of schools in Ohio. You will be notified of your acceptance before September 9th.
- September 8th – Registrations due
- September 9th – Schools notified of acceptance
- September 20th – Athlete and Unified Partner information due
- Educators will stay in single-occupancy rooms.
- Athletes and Unified Partners will stay in double-occupancy rooms with their own teammates.
Attached to this email is more information about the learning sessions, social activities, and logistics of the Summit. We hope you can join us for this exciting learning opportunity!
If you have any questions, please email our team at email@example.com.